Re: Cistron-Radius Users

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002 13:57, Emile van Bergen wrote:
> Of course, it's hardly the radius server itself that is the bottleneck
> here, but the backend database, especially if you're writing accounting
> information. *That* tends to be the hardest on a RADIUS server, not
> authentication.

There is the issue of whether the RADIUS server is multi-threaded or forking,
or if it does all database lookups synchronously.

If the RADIUS server can only have one database lookup outstanding at any
time (such as Radiator) then it'll be quite slow, and minor issues such as a
small amount of network congestion between the RADIUS server and the database
server can really kill performance.

Multithreaded servers such as FreeRADIUS don't have this problem and can
deliver much greater performance.