Re: Best mail setup?

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Robert Waldner wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 19:41:16 EST, "D. Clarke" writes:
> >I was wondering what your recommendations would be for 50 (and growing)
> >virtual hosts.  We want something that doesn't require a seperate system
> >user for each virt-user account, and something that's relatively easy to
> >configure.
>
> Your preferred MTA (sendmail, postfix, whatever) and cyrus as MDA+IMAP4/
>  POP3-server.
>
> No need for shell-accounts et al and runs stable whereever I've used it.

I am interested in the "relatively easy to configure" details on using
sendmail (and whatever) so it "doesn't require a seperate system user
for each virt-user account".

Can you provide or point us to this information?

I haven't used linuxconf's vdeliver, but it does provide some usefulness
for sendmail. Is this what you used?

Also, I've heard of some patched mail.local(8) that also allow use of
separate passwd files and separate mail spools. Is this what you use with
sendmail?

Or how does your sendmail and/or delivery agent know to check a non-system
passwd file to see if the email acccounts exist?

(I already know how to do it with Exim and Postfix -- they are easy.)

  Jeremy C. Reed
echo 'G014AE824B0-07CC?/JJFFFI?D64CB>D=3C427=>;>6HI2><J' |
tr /-_ :\ Sc-y./ | sed swxw`uname`w