apache/suexec + php

We've got a virtual hosting server running, one site running there uses php to write somefiles, those files need to get the ownership of the virutal server and rw rights for all :) I noticed that there are several patches around for suexec which will treat php files as scripts, running them as the specified user..and with setting the umask I'll probably achieve what i want. Then again, all those patches are no official patches...just stuff ppl wrote when running into the same problem.

Are there people here, running virtual hosting servers with php and apache suexec? What patch do you use and are they reliable?

Frank