Upgrade a mail server

Title: Upgrade a mail server

        Hi all!!

        I have a debian 2.1 email server, with sendmail as smtp server, and qpopper as POP3 server. This box hosts several domains (about 100 different domains, using virtual hosting), with a total of 1300 users. Because the auth method is based on /etc/passwd, I have 1300 unix user accounts, one per mailbox, of course.

        This is becomming not scalable, and I want to start to use a mail server with auth based on sql, using MySQL for example. I am thinking in use a debian woody( I'll wait till woody becomes stable), with sendmail as smtp server, but I am not sure about the pop3 daemon I have to use.

        My questions are:

        1º what POP3 server do you recomend me to use, in order to use sql method for auth.??
        2º what's is the way to "transfer" the info (users, passwords, emails, etc....) from my old box to my new box and database??

        Any helps would be welcome.

        Best Regards.
        un saludo.

Javier Castillo Alcíbar - castillo@alhsys.com