Re: Upgrade a mail server

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 20:33, Javier Castillo Alcibar wrote:
> 	I have a debian 2.1 email server, with sendmail as smtp server, and
> qpopper as POP3 server. This box hosts several domains (about 100 different
> domains, using virtual hosting), with a total of 1300 users. Because the
> auth method is based on /etc/passwd, I have 1300 unix user accounts, one
> per mailbox, of course.
>
> 	This is becomming not scalable, and I want to start to use a mail
> server with auth based on sql, using MySQL for example. I am thinking in
> use a debian woody( I'll wait till woody becomes stable), with sendmail as
> smtp server, but I am not sure about the pop3 daemon I have to use.

/etc/passwd should scale to 1300 users, using nscd should solve any problems
there.  But chances are that changing how you look up user names won't make
any noticable difference in performance.

The best way of killing performance on a POP server is using /var/spool/mail.
Use Maildir storage and you'll get huge performance gains.

I am guessing that you use /var/spool/mail as I can't imagine any other way
of getting performance problems with only 1300 users.