Re: Bandwidth control on FTP

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Michael Merritt wrote:

> But that will limit each client to n bps, regardless if they are on 56k or
> T3.  I don't want to do this; instead, I want to allow say 1Mbps of bandwidth
> for upload and let whoever has the big pipes get the fast downloads.
>
> Is there a way to do this?  Switching ftp daemons is not out of the question,
> as long as it is "free".

Have a look at lukem-ftpd (as included from NetBSD); it includes a
configure script and builds under Linux.

It provides a "rateget" and "rateput" that can be set for different users
(or ftp sites).

But maybe I misunderstand your need: do you want some ftpd to check the
transfer bandwidth/speed and then set as needed?

  Jeremy C. Reed
echo 'G014AE824B0-07CC?/JJFFFI?D64CB>D=3C427=>;>6HI2><J' |
tr /-_ :\ Sc-y./ | sed swxw`uname`w