Re: rsync backup scipt

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Hereward Cooper wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying to setup a backup server to store stuff from a main sever + various
> other machines dotted around the place. What I'm really after is this:
>
> --server
> /home is backed up daily on a 7 day rotation
> / is backed up once a week
>
> --windows machine
> C:\My Documents\ is backed up daily via smb on a 7 day rotation
> C:\ is backed up once a week
>
> I've used rsync ok, (using one from a previous thread) but i'm not sure how to
> do the rotation system?

Use something like BACKUPDIR=`date +%A` in your scripts.

> Also when backing up / on the server, what stops it from
> copying the contents of a mounted cd aswell?

As others have mentioned exclude it.

I have found that when backing up / all at once on our server which has
about 1500 users that it fails, don't recall the details but I think it
was because it runs out of memory.

We also use ssh with authorization keys which limit what command and where
it can be run from.

Chuck