Re: redundant mail servers

Florian Friesdorf said :
 >> Is it possible (case 1) to mount one ext2 partition on two computers at
 >> the same time?

No. Mounting may modify the superblock, and confuse the other machine
suffisently for it to crash and leave the FS in an unexpected state.

 >> Well, there is another one - I've only 15 days left to set it up.

Mmmm. Good luck :-).

I'm doing that kind of stuff here whith DRBD[1] and heartbeat[2]. The main
difference is that we have only one server active at a given time and
the data is always synchronised.

If you have the cash, you can also look for a GFS or OpenGFS[3] compatible
storage hardware. This is the ultimate trick to solve your problem, but
it gets quite expensive...

	Nicolas

[1] : <URL:http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/reisner/drbd/>
[2] : <URL:http://www.linux-ha.org/>
[3] : <URL:http://www.opengfs.org/>

--
nicolas@bouthors.org -- http://nicolas.bouthors.org/ -- +33 6 2071 6234
Administateur Systèmes et Réseaux   --    GHS    --    38, Rue du Texel