Re: [zebra 11943] Phantom routes in the Linux kernel, not replaced by Zebra

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 01:29:26PM +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> These routes are displayed by Zebra as "kernel" routes (the normal routes are
> displayed as "ospf" or "bgp") and restarting Zebra does not make them
> disappear. I have to manually delete them. Rebooting, a la MS-Windows, solves
> everything.
>
> FreeBSD zealots keep bothering me that it is because Linux does not know
> RTF_STATIC ($KERNEL/include/linux/route.h), which prevents to pinpoint phantom

Actually, it looks like Zebra under BSD uses the RTF_PROTO1 flag
instead to distinguish its own routes. It shows up as a "1" in the
flags column in netstat.

Under Linux, no such thing as RTF_PROTO1. Instead, from a quick
glance at the code in zebra/rt_netlink.c, it looks like Zebra tries
to use RTPROT_ZEBRA in Netlink messages. But this does not seem to
be stored by the kernel in the routing table (at least this field
is not shown by netstat or route).

So back to square one: unless I'm mistaken (which is quite possible
since I'm not a Linux guru), no way for Zebra under Linux to clean
up its own routes when it restarts.
--
Pierre Beyssac		pb@enst.fr