Re: RAID1 on sparc64

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 02:04, Tim Kent wrote:
> # fdisk /dev/sdb
> Command (m for help): t
> Partition number (1-8): 1
> Hex code (type L to list codes): fd
> Changed system type of partition 1 to fd (Unknown)

I noticed that the 0xfd partition type is defined in the fdisk source in the
file i386_sys_types.c, I guess it doesn't apply to SPARC.

After more searching - in the 2.4.16 kernel source the relevant kernel code
is in genhd.h which appears to be i386-only.

The function to autodetect devices that are parts of a RAID is
md_autodetect_dev() which is only called from msdos.c and md.c.  I think that
the call from md.c is for verifying a device that the RAID sub-system already
has decided to use.  So it seems that software RAID is really only fully
functional on Intel!

>From briefly examining the code it appears that it wouldn't be THAT difficult
to pick a suitable partition identifying mechanism (if there is one) and
having a md_autodetect_dev() call after it's recognised, if I owned a SPARC
I'd probably give it a go myself.  However at the moment I have no access to
SPARC hardware, so I've CC'd Neil Brown, hopefully he can add it to a future
release.