nameservers open to world - with test output

It has recently came to my attention that anyone can use our company's nameservers.

I recently setup my home machine to use the company's nameserver to confirm this.

I was wondering if there was anyway to prevent people from using our company's NS for their personal servers ?

Would the extra traffic generated cause any problems on our network that I may not be aware of ?

Test Confirmation that our NS is open to world: |

-----------------------
Step one: lookup name |
-----------------------

mylinux machine$ whois ourdomain.com
Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

 Domain Name: ournameserver.com
 Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
 Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
 Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com
 Name Server: NS1.ournameserver.net
 Name Server: NS2.ournameserver.net
 Updated Date: 27-oct-2001

Step two: change /etc/resolv.conf to the following |

search ournameserver.com
nameserver 123.123.123.123 # nameserver1
nameserver 123.123.123.134 # nameserver2

-------------------------
Step three: sample run  |
-------------------------

mylinux machine$ nslookup www.debian.org