Re: How to BOOT from IOMEGA IDE ZIP250 drive?

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 03:07:39PM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Oct 2001 09:30, Radek@Hnilica.CZ wrote:
> > I need to boot from zip disk and also mount it as a root.  I have one
> > diskete partitioned and with Debian Potato installed on it.  In my
> > workstation I am able to boot from it but not in PowerEdge350 router.
> >
> > The zip drive is connected on second IDE controller as a master. (/dev/hdc)
> > zip diskette is formated with partition table and one partition /dev/hdc1.
> > The router doesn't have floppy drive and also the diskette controller is
> > disabled in BIOS.
>
> Try using the "bios=" option in /etc/lilo.conf.  If you install a lilo boot
> block on /dev/hda then "bios=0x80" will be the default.  If you are to
> install on a hard drive that the BIOS thinks is the first master IDE disk but
> which LILO considers to not be the first disk then "bios=0x80" will rectify
> the problem.
> For your situation I don't know what value to use, try starting as 0x80 and
> going up sequentially and see what happens.

When I try use bios=0x80 or 0x81 and have the /dev/hda disabled/enabled
in bios then LILO ends with L 01 01 01 01
unly combination 0x80 with /dev/hda enabled ends with LI and machine
begins beeping.

As I know, the ZIP is during boot process bios device 0 (floppy).

As I wrote in previous mail, ZIP250 is as /dev/hdc and there is also
/dev/hda in the computer there.

> Also note that there is no one setting for "bios=" that will boot both
> machines.  So if you want to be able to boot both machines from the same ZIP

I know that, I doesn't need boot with one zip both computers.  I just
want to create boot zip for that router.

> Alternatively you could use Grub, it may work better than LILO for your
> situation.

Can Grub boot from ZIP drive?

--
Radek Hnilica <Radek at Hnilica dot CZ>