Re: How to BOOT from IOMEGA IDE ZIP250 drive?

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001 09:30, Radek@Hnilica.CZ wrote:
> I need to boot from zip disk and also mount it as a root.  I have one
> diskete partitioned and with Debian Potato installed on it.  In my
> workstation I am able to boot from it but not in PowerEdge350 router.
>
> The zip drive is connected on second IDE controller as a master. (/dev/hdc)
> zip diskette is formated with partition table and one partition /dev/hdc1.
> The router doesn't have floppy drive and also the diskette controller is
> disabled in BIOS.

Try using the "bios=" option in /etc/lilo.conf.  If you install a lilo boot
block on /dev/hda then "bios=0x80" will be the default.  If you are to
install on a hard drive that the BIOS thinks is the first master IDE disk but
which LILO considers to not be the first disk then "bios=0x80" will rectify
the problem.

For your situation I don't know what value to use, try starting as 0x80 and
going up sequentially and see what happens.

Also note that there is no one setting for "bios=" that will boot both
machines.  So if you want to be able to boot both machines from the same ZIP
disk then you should have two copies of LILO installed with different BIOS
settings and use the mbr package to choose between them.

Alternatively you could use Grub, it may work better than LILO for your
situation.