Re: Reload one domain in caching DNS server

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, I. Forbes wrote:

> We run one DNS server as a "caching DNS server".  All DNS
> queries from our site are forwarded to this server.  It does not host
> any primary or secondary "zones" and resolves all of its queries
> from root servers.  Thus the answers we get from DNS are
> generally the same as everyone else on the internet, which helps
> our support guys give our customers sensible answers.
>
> The trouble is when we update one of our domains, we still see the
> "old" domain data until such time as it expires.

Since you say "one of our domains", then plan ahead of time: lower the
TTLs before you begin the work so this problem won't happen again.

> How can I force our caching DNS server to reload 1 domain?

I am not sure. I have heard that the new BIND 9 has a new name daemon
control program -- maybe it can do it? I don't think it can be done with
BIND 8.

  Jeremy C. Reed
echo 'G014AE824B0-07CC?/JJFFFI?D64CB>D=3C427=>;>6HI2><J' |
tr /-_ :\ Sc-y./ | sed swxw`uname`w