Re: Reload one domain in caching DNS server

Ian,

If the goal is for your support guys to give "sensable" answers (you see
things how everyone else in the world does), I'd want exactly the
behaviour you're seeing. When you've updated a domain, if your caching
only server doesn't update, that means that the world in general doesn't
update the domain data. That's what I'd prefer to see, since there will
be some overlap with people who have cached info out there.

If you want to see what the updated domain "looks" like, use dig or
nslookup pointed to your authoratative server(s).

Finally, consider reducing the TTLs on new/changing domains, at least
for a while. Most of the time, your domains are going to be fairly
stable (hopefully). This of course requires planning ahead for a change,
something that isn't always possible, especially with customer domains.

As for the actual answer to your question... I don't know of any way to
expire a single zone. You can reload a single zone on a master or slave
server... but I don't think it's possible with a caching server...

--Rich

"I. Forbes" wrote:

> Hello All
>
> I have a quick question, but I am not sure that there is a quick
> answer.
>
> We run one DNS server as a "caching DNS server".  All DNS
> queries from our site are forwarded to this server.  It does not host
> any primary or secondary "zones" and resolves all of its queries
> from root servers.  Thus the answers we get from DNS are
> generally the same as everyone else on the internet, which helps
> our support guys give our customers sensible answers.
>
> The trouble is when we update one of our domains, we still see the
> "old" domain data until such time as it expires.
>
> How can I force our caching DNS server to reload 1 domain?
>
> I don't want to restart bind and force it to reload all of the info it has
> cached every time we update one domain, because the DNS
> server  builds up quite a history and I think e-mail etc takes a bit of
> a knock after a reload.
>
> (New domains are not a problem, just updates to old ones)
>
> Ian

Rich Puhek
ETN Systems Inc.