Re: help with site+database

> Does Oracle ship RPM's for Red Hat?
  Not that I'm aware of. Just installed it using Oracle's *really*
crappy java-based installer.

> I encountered a number of problems including inexplicable
> failures if I used native threads through Java (Green threads worked).
  Yeah its bad. I installed 8i and the Oracle gurus told me that at
least this installer actually worked. The previous versions didn't at
all!
  Took me about 2 loops per install and after installation was over the
installer just hung and hung...
  The Oracle gurus found that it worked best not to try to create a
database you were going to actually use with the install. Just create a
small, junk one to get the software installed, the create the one you
are actually going to use later.
  After getting it running it was great to watch it hummmm along and it
blew the doors off of the W2K machines... course that probably had
something to do with the hardware... but the stability was the OS. Once
a week the DBA was scrambling because some W2K or NT box went down while
Linux chugged along.

Pete
--
http://www.elbnet.com