Re: ATA Speed

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, R K wrote:

> Does the following mean that Linux is only using my ide bus at ata33
> speeds?  Or more accurately not using the full ata100 mode?
>
> ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
> idebus=xx
>
> I've seen nothing from dmesg to indicate that it's doing
> otherwise.  Does it configure it as 33 and then still use it to it's
> full potential or does it impose restrictions on itself?  Even if this
> doesn't have anything to do with it, how would I verify that Linux is
> using the hardware to its full potential?

Did you note that it said 33MHz and not 33 MB/s ?? And did you note that
it says PIO mode, while ata100 is a DMA mode ??

Entering that message into Google got me the following url:
http://list.cobalt.com/pipermail/cobalt-users/2001-May/042555.html which
quotes another message (I am too lazy to find the original) which clearly
explains what this message means.

--
Tot ziens,

Bart-Jan