ATA Speed

Does the following mean that Linux is only using my ide bus at ata33 speeds?  Or more accurately not using the full ata100 mode?

ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx

I've seen nothing from dmesg to indicate that it's doing otherwise.  Does it configure it as 33 and then still use it to it's full potential or does it impose restrictions on itself?  Even if this doesn't have anything to do with it, how would I verify that Linux is using the hardware to its full potential?

Thanks in advance