Re: postfix + sasl + pam

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 11:55:23AM -0400, Kevin J. Menard, Jr. wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
>     Anyone here have all this working together?  I apt-get'ed the source for
>     postfix and altered the debian/rules file to add SASL support for SMTP auth.
>     The build went fine, but it apparently always tries to use the sasldb, even
>     though I set up my /usr/lib/sasl/smtpd.conf file to use PAM as the
>     pwcheck_method.  Anyone know what gives?

[telchar:~] 6:34:50am 111 % cat /usr/lib/sasl/smtpd.conf
pwcheck_method: PAM
auto_transition: false

Works fine for me (on a couple machines).  There are a couple tricks:
first, you have to make sure that smtpd isn't chrooted (see master.cf).
Then you have to ensure that postfix can verify passwords (I added
postfix to the 'shadow' group).