Re: Apache - SIGSEGV but no core dumps.

On Friday 29 June 2001 17:52, Przemyslaw Wegrzyn wrote:
> I have noticed the following lines in Apache's error.log:
>
> [Fri Jun 29 17:35:41 2001] [notice] child pid 18786 exit signal
> Segmentation fault (11)
> [Fri Jun 29 17:35:54 2001] [notice] child pid 20229 exit signal
> Segmentation fault (11)
>
> I've strace'd Apache - the child processes dies after finishing
> handling request and writing line to access log , so it isn't critical,
> but...
>
> I use Apache 1.3.19 + php4.0.5 from Woody in chrooted enviroment.
> My problem is actually I can't force Apache to drop core files.
> I've added ulimit -c unlimited to /etc/init.d/apache, and set
> CoreDumpDirectory to some world writeable dir.
> Nope - I can't get any core to do backtrace on it. Why ?

Well behaved daemons often set their own core limit to zero to avoid
wasting disk space in the case of errors.  You may have to recompile
Apache with this option disabled, but that's no big deal.  Debian
packages contain stripped binaries so you won't get that much information
from a core file unless you recompile with "-g" instead of "-O2".