Re: routing routable IPs over non-routable IPs

On Tue, 22 May 2001 01:26:56 EDT, Chris Wagner writes:
>We should probably clarify "non-routable" by saying "non-publicly routable".

Well, we could also say RFC1918, couldn´t we ;-?

>Routers have no concept of restricted ip ranges other than what is programed
>into them.  As long as you are debugging from a place that "knows about"
>your private ip's, there shouldn't be a problem.  At GE we cross privates to
>go from public to public all the time.

Well, there are several issues, none of them really bad, but if you
 want a clean setup..:

- DNS, you´ll have to set up split DNS for your RFC1918- and external
 IPs
- in Real Life, you sometimes _will_ have to debug from the outside of
 your network
- in Real Life, someone else _will_ debug from the outside (and quite
 probably complain about the RFC1918-IPs or simply be fed up)

cheers,
&rw
--
/ Ing. Robert Waldner |  <r.waldner@xsoft.at>  \
\     Xsoft GmbH      | T: +43 1 796 36 36 692 /