Re: Kernels 2.4.x for ISP ?

* czajnik@tower.t16.ds.pwr.wroc.pl [2001.05.18 06:05]:
> I'm just setting up new box - large mail server,
> dual Pentium, STL2 motherboard, Mylex AccleRAID.
>
> I'd like to try with kernel 2.4.x + ResierFS, but I worry a little about
> it's maturity. Is it really stable now ?
>
> Can anyone here write about his/her experiences with 2.4.x ?

My experience on my home workstation has been flawless.  IMHO, I think
you should way a couple more revisions before using it for a mission
critical system.  I would definately do some research on the stability
of the areas of the code you need:  drivers, raid, smp, resierfs, etc.
I seem to recall reiserfs still has some bugs to work out.

Anyway, I think we would all agree that 2.2.x and ext2 are rock solid.
I personally would not feel comfortable running reiserfs on a mission
critical box yet, but I haven't done much research on the upcoming
kernels lately.  So, do your research and decide for yourself if 2.4 is
ready for primetime.  Cheers
--
Cameron Moore