Re: What type of UPS for a Debian-Server

> Please forward the info to me.  I have a Back-UPS 650.  Thanks!

  Here's the info. I have posted this to the list also because *nothing*
is more annoying than searching a list archive, finding your exact
question and then the answer was never posted! For posterity:

Easiest way to start is to "apt-get install genpower". That way the init
scripts, config file, etc. are all in place for you. Of course you can
do the whole thing from source if you prefer.

Next grab the genpower source off of http://www.freshmeat.net

After un-taring the source edit genpowerd.h

You'll see that there are a bunch of cable configurations at the top of
the file. You are looking for the apc2-nt cable.
The APC Back-UPS (dumb) use *almost* this cable with the exception that
the CTS line starts low and goes high when power fails. So set the
TIOCM_CTS from 1 to 0.

Compile and replace the Debian /usr/bin/genpowerd with your custom
version.

Edit /etc/init.d/genpower and set upstype=apc2-nt (and of course your
serial port, etc.)

You should be in business.

BTW- I noticed that they have updated the package so *maybe* they have
included this cable in the new source. You may want to poke around in
the docs before hacking. Just don't be confused between the Smart
Back-UPS and Back-UPS

If you get stuck or have trouble you can use the gentest program that
comes with genpower to see what is going on with your serial line.

Be sure to test when done, including the inverter shut-down.

Pete

--
http://www.elbnet.com
ELB Internet Services, Inc.