Re: Authentication schemes

> I had thought to use qmail, vpopmail, courier-imap to handle the email
> services.  If there are other choices that are either easier to
> implement or offer advantages I haven't thought of, please let me
> know.

I can't comment on LDAP, but you may like to consider using MySQL in some
capacity.. we run qmail and some patches to let it run virtual domain
hosting from a MySQL database.. it's been running beautifully for many
months now with POP3, IMAP, webmail and all using Maildirs... There's even
SMTP relaying permitted if someone logs in using ESMTP with their mail
user/password... - much tidier than kludgy 'POP before SMTP' solutions..

I was just thinking that you could have each installation to point to a
MySQL master server on another machine or similar...

Of course, this applies to mail only, but I'm sure there's a PAM module
for mysql that shell accounts could authenticate to...