Re: Squid Alternative

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 11:18:05AM +1000, Robert Davidson wrote:
> Has anyone found a free, decent alternative to Squid?
>
> Our ones keep giving us trouble, such as:
>
>     Dying in the middle of the night for no apparent reason,
>
>     Filling up the drive that Squid maintains a cache on (despite
>     it being told not to use all of the hdd space).
>
> Those errors are happening too frequently.  If anyone has any questions
> or thinks they might be able to help in some way, please get back to
> me.
>
> We have multiple squid servers with different setups (hard drive space
> wise) they all seem to exhibit the same problems.

No idea what might be causing the second problem, but the mysterious
deaths can easily be monitored-for with a shell script in a cronjob and
squid can be restarted and an e-mail sent to the admin when it happens
with various system information... just takes a little bit of creativity
and time to write one.

--
Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com>