samba over PLIP

Hello All,

There's an Acer TravelMate here whose M$Windows was hit with an outlook
macro virus (yes, such is the fate all who use this evil mailer). I need
to save the data files and not truncate everything to 8.3 filenames.

I will try for loss less repartioning; install Linux; mount the FAT32
partition, etc.; and hopefully do network backup via PLIP, thus preserve
long filenames. I've read on NFS over PLIP but since I'm saving to a
windows box, can I substitue Samba for NFS?

Has anyone out there even considered this murky solution?

Thanks in advance,

Erik Abella