long hang time for ftp

I just installed wu_ftp, and it's doing the infamous "hang for a minute, then
let you login normally" trick.	I'm also using xinetd (for security reasons,
was told it was better) so it isn't a default install.	 How do I get rid of
this "hang-time" before the login prompt appears?  I've searched from hell to
highwater for a place to turn off reverse-dns lookups (as that's what I
suspect the issue is) but haven't found anything.  Ideas?

D.A.Bishop