automated installs

Does anyone know what the current state of the art in doing automated
installs of new hardware with Debian is?

I need to be able to write a cd-rom that I can toss into a new system,
type a command, and it builds the system for me without all the various
crap this gets asked for these days.  I could supply the ip address and
the system could do the rest.  I'd even be willing to specify the other
networking parameters and disk configuration.  But I don't want to have
to answer endless questions when installing the packages necessary.

I know there is the noninteractive mode of debconf but debconf isn't a
requirement yet...

Thanks,
  Darren
--