Re: Compiling bind_8.2.3-0 for slink

Hello Russell

On 6 Mar 2001, at 8:09, Russell Coker wrote:

> Isn't there a security update for that?

There is, but the update has not been released for slink, just potato,
thats why I needed to recompile it.

> > The compilation bombs out with the following message:
> >
> > make[3]: Entering directory `/home/ian/dev/bind/bind-
> > 8.2.3/src/bin/addr'
> > gcc -D_GNU_SOURCE -I../../port/linux/include -I../../include -O -g  -c
> > addr.c gcc -D_GNU_SOURCE -O -g   -o addr addr.o \
> >  ../../lib/libbind.a -lfl
> > ld: cannot open -lfl: No such file or directory
> > make[3]: *** [addr] Error 1
> > make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/ian/dev/bind/bind-
> > 8.2.3/src/bin/addr'
> > make[2]: *** [addr] Error 1 make[2]: Leaving directory
> > `/home/ian/dev/bind/bind-8.2.3/src/bin' make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ian/dev/bind/bind-8.2.3/src'
> > make: ***
> > [build-stamp] Error 2
> >
> > I assume it is looking for some library that I do not have, or it does
> > not like slink's libc, or gcc.  However I don't know too much about
> > this.
>
> Grepping Contents.gz suggests that libfl.a is in package "flex"...

Thanks, that the clue I needed.

For the record in addition to "flex", I had to install "bison" and
"mmv", on top of what I had there already.

But this was only the beginning.  The thing compiled but dpkg-
buildpackage bombed out because it was trying to install things
into directories such as "debian/bind-dev/usr/share/man" in the
build directory hierarchy - which did not exist.  Trying to add them
manually did not seem to help, then I added a whole lot of
directories to the lists in debian/dirs, debian/bind-dev.dirs etc.  This
also did not work.  Then I copied the contents of /usr/sbin from the
potato version of the "debhelper" package into /usr/local/sbin and
started making progress again. (Perhaps I could have installed the
new "debhelper" - I was not brave enough to try that).

There was still one more hiccup.  "dh_fixperms" bombed out
because it was trying to use "chown --no-dereference" - which
works on potato but not slink.  (Funny thing is the original slink
version of dh_fixperms also bombed out - it contains the same
code ..).  I edited out the "--no-dereference" option in the perl code
for that script and I finally got a working *.deb package.

If anybody wants a copy of it, e-mail me.  I think my package is a bit
to "alpha" to put up on an ftp server (version no's etc will probably
break on an upgrade).  When you install it you still get major
complaints about how the whole installation must be fixed up
manually to make it work.  (I have done that part dozens of times
over now - I think I could have re-written the installation script by
now).

The thing takes longer than a kernel to compile (well it felt longer)
and it has been keeping the cpu in my old slink server rather warm
for the last day or two..

I think I must take some time off to read the "Packaging" manual, as
I must still do proftpd and openssh ...

Cheers

Ian

Ian Forbes ZSD
http://www.zsd.co.za
Office: +27 +21 683-1388  Fax: +27 +21 64-1106
Snail Mail: P.O. Box 46827, Glosderry, 7702, South Africa