Re: compile vs. apt-get (dpkg)

<quote who="Grischa Schuering">

> I undestand, that I loose all apt functionality, when starting to
> compile my own source.
> What way is the best to deal with a situation like this ???

apt-get source apache (you must have deb-src lines in your
/etc/apt/aources.list)

Then you can modify the build rules, diffs, etc., and build the package as
per normal. Of course, if you're adding Free modules into the mix, send your
patches back to the maintainer. :)

[ The other way to do it is to compile then install using stow, but that's
pretty urky with apache, and not as productive. ]

- Jeff

-- jdub@aphid.net ----------------------------- http://lazarus.aphid.net/ --

       o/~ In spite of all those keystrokes, you're addicted to vim.
                              *ka-ching!* o/~