forwarding mail to internal mail server

[...]
    JLG> I'm open to any suggestions anyone may have.  I've thought
    JLG> about using virtusertable on the gateway box to rewrite the
    JLG> addresses so as to be delivered to the internal mail server,
    JLG> but I'm not sure about this.

Use a mailertable that sends everything for your domain[s] to the
internal server.  The bat book covers this, but so should the sendmail
docs.  I'll point out one usual pitfall though: if you use a mailetable
to route the inbound mail from a gateway host you should not have the
routed domain[s] in the gateway sendmail's class w.

cheers,

BM