Re: htaccess failure

> On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Eric Jennings wrote:
>
> > I *believe* you need to "AllowOverride AuthConfig" if you wish to use
> > .htaccess files within the /var/www directory to authenticate users.
> > I may be wrong, but give it a shot.
>
> Sadly, you were wrong.  <sigh>

Actually, you weren't  :)

Turning "AllowOverride AuthConfig" on caused Apache to barf
unexpectedly, which in turn produced an intelligent message in the error
log.  (Worryingly, I hadn't been getting anything at all in the logs
previous to that.)

Turns out that I have legacy directives for xbithack set in _some_ of my
.htaccess files; but not all.

Removing these from all .htaccess files, and adding the AllowOverride
AuthConfig directive to my doc root <Directory> in access.conf has now
solved the problem.

> Other than regularly updating the system, I don't know what I've changed
> since it used to work :)

The need for the xbithack directive for SSIs must have been negated in
an update somewhere along the line; but I've no idea when.
Nothing gave me any warning.

Thanks for all help offered via the list though.
--
Martin Wheeler       -        StarTEXT - Glastonbury - BA6 9PH - England
[1] mwheeler@startext.co.uk                   http://www.startext.co.uk/

     - Share your knowledge. It's one way to achieve immortality. -