Re: linking devices

You speak about Raid-0 - have a look at Software-RAID-HOWTO.

The limitation of 2gb per file is not true anymore with the kernel 2.4 (as
long as your libc6 has been compiled with the kernel 2.4 - the simplest is to
work on a Woody :-) )

Or if you work on a 64bit architecture you can have bigger files :

This mail went on this list a few weeks ago :

thanks ,
I have installed  kernel 2.4.1
with the latest util-linux ,modutils and raidtool (arrrgg)
and finally I can write file >2Gb :-)
...now i must rebuild ls, mv etc.....
m.

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 09:33:06AM -0800 or thereabouts, brian moore wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 12:06:16AM -0500, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> > Francis 'Dexter' Gois <fg@tiscali.be> writes:
> >
> > > Not sure, but i think your problem is not with the NFS but with the
ext2fs
> > > filesystem, which cannot handle files larger than 2gb.
> >
> > Yes, ext2's maximum file size is 1 byte less than 2 GB (2147483647 bytes.
>
> Bzzt.  Wrong.  This is a limit of 2.2 and earlier kernels on 32 bit
> hardware.  It has -NOTHING- to do with the file system per se: you will
> see exactly the same situation on Reiserfs, NFS (exported from a 64 bit
> machine even!), and every other file system.
>
> Why?  Try 'man lseek' and note that the size of off_t, which is a 32 bit
> number on 32 bit platforms.  There are lots and lots of library and system
> calls that expect or return something of type off_t, which can not exceed
> 32 bits on a 32 bit machine without some hackery.  (See google for the
> 'large filesystem summit' for how ugly that hackery is.)
>
> The exact same file systems -do- support huge files on 64 bit machines.
> Why?  Again, off_t is a 64 bit number on a 64 bit machine.
>
> > If the remote filesystem is ext2 then this is definitely the problem.
The

On Tuesday 13 February 2001 11:06, Mark Janssen wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 11:02:06AM +0000, Kozman Balint wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > is there any way to link two (or more) block devices (ex: two hard disks)
> > into one logical block device? I need this to be able to copy a file of
> > 70Gb to a machine which has two disks of 40 Gb.
>
> Yes.. You should be able to use the 'md' driver/subsystem to create a big
> virtual drive across multiple drives.
> There is only one problem... a 70 Gig file won't fit... since there is a
> filesize limitation (I think 2GB) So you'd have to split up the file in 2GB
> parts anyway, and then it's useless to go the hard way with md or lvm
>
> Mark Janssen                     Unix Consultant @ SyConOS IT
> E-mail: mark@markjanssen.homeip.net    GnuPG Key Id: 357D2178
> http: markjanssen.homeip.net and markjanssen.[com|net|org|nl]
> Fax/VoiceMail: +31 20 8757555     Finger for GPG and GeekCode

-Got this blue screen- --   Keep the Internet FREE with Tiscalinet   --
-    once again -    - ------ Be GNU : have a Linux attitude :-) ------
     -       _+-------------------+       Francis 'Dexter' Gois
\-/  /  \-/ / - Already tried to  - Tiscali Belgium System Administrator
(_°~   ~°_)   -install GNU/Linux ?-      mailto : fg@tiscali.be
/  \   /   \  +-------------------+ Phone +3224000920 - fax +3224000899