Re: mail sorting tool

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 03:45:25PM +0100, Toni Mueller whispered:

> - It's unavailable, basically. While anyone with their pretty
>   Linux or BSD box has no problems getting at appropriate UUCP
>   software, everyone else has to go to their nearest computer
>   museum to find one, as it seems. Also, customers usually can't
>   administrate neither SMTP nor UUCP, but SMTP is easier to
>   set up.

We administer an uucp-server for a major ISP here in Norway. It runs
FreeBSD with Taylor UUCP and works pretty well. A very few clients run
Linux in the other end, the wast majority runs Win NT with a product
called Omnigate Pro. There are about 300 UUCP users, and usually
everything works just fine. I'll estimate we (we act as 3rd line
support, but it looks like we get all the UUCP cases...) get about one
support case every day in average, most of them are because of huge
mails (that often are not sent completely because the line (isdn/modem)
went down before the mail was transfered, then the mail was sent again
and again and again and no other mail could get through the line..).
NThis is really a bug in Omnigate, I think, but I don't think it's too
bad concidering there are about 300 users and most of the errors seem to
be the same clients having problems with huge mails...

--
Magni Onsøien, Initio IT-løsninger AS
http://www.initio.no/