Re: mail sorting tool

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 02:46:54PM +0100, Robert Waldner wrote:
> [...]

yuck. This sounds *very* complicated... At least when running
RADIUS I think that other options could be available.

> >Which makes me think, if your their provider, why not give them a static
> >IP Address?

Hmmm. Where do _you_ get your IP numbers from? Afaik - here in
RIPE-land - there is a policy expressly forbidding this, and it
could therefore result in your not getting IP numbers later...

> this is where the salesmen came into play :/
>
> is they have a static IP, we cannot limit them in the number of
>  recipients (which _I_ do not want, but the salesforce does). this way,
>  they get _all_ their mail via our queue (and they have to set up each
>  &every mailaddress with us <ARGH>).

Only the tiny dumb user does this, imho. Anyone with half a clue
and any kind of Internet gateway system running, as opposed to a
bunch of ISDN cards or simply a NAT'ing router, wants to do it
himself and surely finds a way to sort it out (but you _can_
reasonably charge significantly more than for people only
using dynamic addresses).

> >static IP address is viable.  For the remaining ones, I don't see what's
> >wrong with UUCP.

Wrong with UUCP are imho two points:
- It's unreliable (yes. I mean it. It eats much support because
  not all UUCP versions talk to each other, and also this tends to
  block itself for no good reason and needs manual cleanup - I did
  news and mail over UUCP for over a year :(  ).
- It's unavailable, basically. While anyone with their pretty
  Linux or BSD box has no problems getting at appropriate UUCP
  software, everyone else has to go to their nearest computer
  museum to find one, as it seems. Also, customers usually can't
  administrate neither SMTP nor UUCP, but SMTP is easier to
  set up.

> why bother with the source if all you have to do is set up your rules
>  ;-) . our setup is ldap-only since ~ 2 years, so that kind of things
>  are quite easy to implement.

That's an interesting statement. How do you do it, and how
reliable is it?

Best Regards,
--Toni++