Re: mail sorting tool

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 03:45:25PM +0100, Toni Mueller wrote:
> Hmmm. Where do _you_ get your IP numbers from? Afaik - here in
> RIPE-land - there is a policy expressly forbidding this, and it
> could therefore result in your not getting IP numbers later...

Well, my work does have a /24 subnet that they got 5 years ago.  They
use bugger all of it and most of it is used for IP based virtual hosts
which will be changed to named based ones shortly.  They are a pretty
small operation, but they were allocated allot more IP addresses than
they needed to start with.  Apart from that, most of the perminent
connections are outsourced.

But is it really forbidden to give customers a static IP address for
something that you are selling to them as a perminent connection with
the intent to keep it running 24 hrs/7 days?

I haven't heard of any APNIC policy like that.  They might forbid static
IP addresses for customers who are connected infrequently.  But if it
was forbidded for perminent then why is it allowed for Cable/DSL?

I also that if you don't have to include an old range in the specs to
get more IP addresses with APNIC (well at least that's what I thought I
read).  So that means that if you have an old subnet you can waste it,
but you have to use the new ones efficientally.

The other thing is, how does Telstra manage to get away with giving
perminent connection customers /26 subnets to every perminent dialup
customer (or is that just the absolute most you can get, but there is
some hidden claus stating that you only get what you can use; see
http://www.bigpond.com/advance).

As a last resort, we could get IP addresses from our provider assuming
they have spare ones.  But things would have to be set up in such a way
that changing providers wouldn't mean allot of manual labour with
changing IP addresses.  And I'm not sure how that'd be for multihoming.

--
Jeremy Lunn
Melbourne, Australia