Re: IDE RAID

On Mon, 07 Aug 2000, Áts Attila wrote:
>Hi,
>
>have any of you ever heard of or used a RAID controller
>that is capable of "RAIDing" with IDE disks? Is there
>suuport for a card like this in Linux?

I have used software RAID on IDE in 2.2.x kernels.  It works fine but
requires a lengthy RAID check after a reset (this involves reading all
partitions in the RAID set entirely).
In 2.4.0* kernels this isn't necessary, it can do a RAID check in the
background.  This works really well in 2.4.0-test5, in 2.4.0-test4 and -test3
it didn't work at all, and in 2.4.0-test2 it would hang under heavy load.

For hardware RAID on IDE drives check http://www.bigstorage.com/ , however
last time I talked to them they only supported 40MB/s transfer rates which is
pretty poor (a single IDE drive can sustain 33MB/s...).

--
My current location - X marks the spot.