Re: DNS setup for somedomain.com?

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Loopshot Operator wrote:

> 	I'm currently running my own DNS servers, and I can't for the
> life of me figure out how to set up the DNS (or whatever I *do* have
> to set up) so that people can put in "http://mydomain.com"; into their
> browswers for the domains that are hosted with us, and it will
> automatically forward or translate to "http://www.mydomain.com";.
> Right now if I put in "http://somedomain.com";, the browser returns
> with an error "The attempt to load http://somedomain.com"; failed".

the zone-file for your domain will have an 'A' record in the form:

	IN	A		222.222.222.222

to direct other hostnames to the same address, you can just configure them
as CNAME records in the following form:

www	IN	CNAME		yourdomain.com

... of course this assumes the zone is "yourdomain.com" and the above A
record is in the zonefile for that domain. Sorry if this is unclear; I've
been up for about thirty hours. If you are loading vdomains on your web
server, and you have the thing loading name-based vdomains, you must be
sure that you have a server definition for www.yourdomain.com as well as
yourdomain.com.

Brian
fade@etc.etc.etc.

How often I found where I should be going only by setting out for
somewhere else..
                                       -- R. Buckminster Fuller