Re: DNS setup for somedomain.com?

Eric,

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Loopshot Operator wrote:

> 	I'm currently running my own DNS servers, and I can't for the
> life of me figure out how to set up the DNS (or whatever I *do* have
> to set up) so that people can put in "http://mydomain.com"; into their
> browswers for the domains that are hosted with us, and it will
> automatically forward or translate to "http://www.mydomain.com";.
> Right now if I put in "http://somedomain.com";, the browser returns
> with an error "The attempt to load http://somedomain.com"; failed".

I assume www.mydomain.com resolves to an IP. If not, use whois and make
sure that you are authoritative for it.

Does the BIND zone file for mydomain.com have an IP assigned (A) for
mydomain.com?

And then (if you are using Apache), look at using the ServerAlias and
ServerName directives.

(It would be easier if you would use real domain names. Especially since
we may be able to find the problems for you. Also, you used two different
domain name examples and I am a little unclear.)

  Jeremy C. Reed
  http://www.reedmedia.net/
  http://bsd.reedmedia.net/