Re: per-user spam blocking with Postfix

On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 11:43:03AM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
> I would like to implement per-user spam blocking for a moderate sized mail
> server (25,000 email accounts).  I need to allow users to choose their own
> spam policies on a per-account basis.

The only way to do it, IMHO.

> I would like to allow the users to select which spam filters to use (ORBS,
> MAPS, both, something else) through a file on disk (which will be created by
> a web page).  The file could be a .procmail file or something else.

No, it can be done within postfix.

> It seems that it's impossible to block mail from being received on a per-user
> basis, so I guess I will have to bounce them (returning an SMTP error 550 is
> much better as spam generally doesn't have a good bounce address).  But if it
> is possible to return an error 550 based on sender-IP and destination email
> then I'd like to know how!

Bzzzt... Wrong... It can be done within postfix, which is the best way
to do it.  See http://www.kfki.hu/~kadlec/sw/postfix_patch.html

> Also I would like to provide an option of flagging messages or putting them
> in a seperate IMAP folder (procmail could do this if procmail can handle the
> ORBS and MAPS lookups).

I use procmail for nailing some special headers ('Authenticated
sender' nonsense, when it's not from Pegasus, forged Received lines
with bogon IP numbers, etc), but the various DNS lookups (and things
like my own blacklist of bad networks and senders....) are handled by
postfix's smtpd, and our users get to pick and choose which filters they
want to apply from a web page.  (Which is really trivial -- it just
updates a db file.)

> Any suggestions?

Yep.  See above.