RE: w/c RAID on a SQL box

Hi chad,

As Rod said, RAID 1 is a mirroring solution and RAID 5 can be called
something like "stripping with data recovery" ;)

But what you must consider is...
	RAID 1 is faster for _reading_ data (as it uses only 1 disk for
read)
	RAID 5 is faster for _writing_ data (as it distributes data across
several disks)
If you app __mainly_writes__ a lot of data (INSERTs & UPDATEs) RAID 5 _is_
your solution

OTOH you must have in mind that...
	RAID 1 is _slower_ for _writing_ (same info into 2 disks)
	RAID 5 is _slower_ for _reading_ (read info from several disks)
If your app __mainly_reads__ a lot of data (SELECTs) RAID 1 is your solution

What is "more secure"? Well...
	RAID 1: same info on 2 disks... as safe as at least 1 disk is OK ;o)
	RAID 5: safe if _only_ 1 disk fails. You can recover info on this
disk with the info from the others, but if 2 disks fail at the same time
=8-O ...

IMHO RAID 5 is a better solution for "common apps", but for an DDBB app...
you must evaluate the main operation you're doing: reading or writing, and
then evaluate both options.

I'll suggest RAID 5 for app files & RAID 1 for data storage, obviously with
a good backup policy ;o) but I don't know if it's possible at your hosting
company :o?

Best regards
	Santy