8 bit color (fwd)

can anyone answer this one?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 11:49:51 -0500 (EST)
From: Debian Ghost <debian@ghost.ntelos.net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: 8 bit color

Hey Guys,
I am trying to export an application from a sun machine to my debian
machine. When I export the 24 bit version of the program it will display
fine. When I export an 8 bit version of the same program, it bombs out
with this message:

X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private resource
denied)

  Major opcode of failed request:  89 (X_StoreColors)
  Serial number of failed request:  645

If I really need to use the 8 bit version of this program, what can I do
to my local display to be able to see it?

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks so much,

Debian Ghost