Re: what'll make a good mysql server

Can't say for sure, but I think you hit the nail on the head when you
said you "need all the speed you can get."

Two stats for you. First, I have my accounting package on MySQL. Around
1M total, and it runs very nice on a 166 with 64M of memory and an IDE
HDD.

Second, I took some IIS logs from a client and put them into a MySQL
database to run some stats. A little over 500,000 rows, I believe it
was around 9M or so. On a 300Mhz machine, 64M DRAM, SCSI HDD, it ran
unimaginably slow.

Just remember that CPU speed is not nearly as important as your I/O and
memory. Also, if inserts are slowing you down, look at your indicies
and ensure you don't have any you can live without. Indicies are great
for select statments, but they kill you on inserts and updates that
update the keys.

BTW, if you will ensure the buffers for the instance of MySQL are set
higher than the standard install, it will speed your response times
more than fancy new hardware or upgrades. Look at tuning the database
before you spend a lot of money on hardware. You might find it is fast
enough if you set aside a couple of meg for buffers and increase your
threads, etc...

Rod