Re: IMAP aware biff

how about using fetchmail with -c?  From the man page:

  -c, --check
              Return  a  status code to indicate whether there is
              mail waiting, without actually fetching or deleting
              mail (see EXIT CODES below).  This option turns off
              daemon mode (in which it  would  be  useless).   It
              doesn't  play  well with queries to multiple sites,
              and doesn't work with ETRN.  It will return a false
              positive  if  you  leave read but undeleted mail in
              your server mailbox and your fetch  protocol  can't
              tell  kept  messages  from new ones.  This means it
              will work with IMAP, not work with  POP2,  and  may
              occasionally flake out under POP3.

so run something in the background that sleeps for a while, runs this,
checks the exit code, and echo's if necessary.

--
kc

Kevin Conover: kconover@optonline.net