fast router

> 30mbit (without fastroute). However to be able to correctly configure and

can fastroute be applied to all (or the majority) of Ethernet cards out there
(perhaps I should be asking Mr. Becker this but..), Becker says
"chip-specific code for many 8390-based ethernet adaptors", but I have no
idea which those are and I'd have no idea how to combine the provided source
code (8390.c)  that is fastroute with board specific code like he also
states.
Has anyone seen a howto for fastroute?

Have any numbers ever been calculated or run in a test to see what a top of
the line intel based PC can crank out in terms of packets/sec?
I'm building a router and am going to use tulip based cards as I hear they're
good, any comments on what's the best NIC to buy?

Has anyone created a clear consise howto on setting up Linux as a highspeed
router/firewall?  I've yet to find one that outlines some of the more
advanced tweaks you can do such as...
echo "5" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/route/gc_interval
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/route/gc_min_interval
echo "30" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/route/gc_timeout
http://www.linux.com/tuneup/database.phtml/Networking/001525.html

or
echo 30 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_fin_timeout
echo 1800 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_time
echo 0 > tcp_window_scaling
echo 0 > tcp_sack
echo 0 > tcp_timestamps
http://www.linux.com/tuneup/database.phtml/Networking/000815.html

An O'Rielly book perhaps?

I know of the Gibraltar debian based distro, but I'm looking for doc's.  Has
anyone tried Gibraltar?
http://gibraltar.vianova.at/

How many questions can ask in an email before it starts getting annoying? :/

one more!
old hardrive space wasting riddle:  A pizza is ordered.
The delivery boy brings the pizza with a bill for exactly $30.00.
3 guys each give him a $10.00 bill, and he leaves.
BUT there was a mix up, the bill was only $25.00, not $30.00.
The cashier gives the deliver guy 5 one dollar bills and sends him back
He knocks on the door and one of the fellows answers. He explains
about a mix up in the bill, and hands the guy three dollars, then
departs with his two dollar tip in his pocket.
Remember $30-$25=$5 Right. $5-$3=$2 Right.
Each of the three guys originally gave $10.00 each.
They each got back $1.00 in change.
That means they paid $9.00 each, which times three is $27.00.
The delivery boy kept $2.00 for a tip.
$27.00 plus $2.00 equals $29.00.
Where is the other dollar??????????

Hope this didn't offend anyone, my first post do debian-isp (I think).

--
Jason Hammerschmidt - "Sapere Aude" - Jason.Hammerschmidt@Maclaren.com
MacLaren McCann Interactive - direct 416.643.8560