Re: Benchmarking for Remote to Remote Host: How-to?

Take a look at www.webperf.net, they discuss this.  Perhaps the ISPs are
already rated on there and have a track record.  IIRC they us ab from Apache
for benchmarking, which is derived from code, developed to test the zeus web
server.

> What is the best method for benchmarking potential ISPs for an existing
> website? My only concern is speed from my paid members to my website.

ping definitely wrong...  routers are often configured to rate limit ICMP
packets.  Good idea for security reasons, did anyone say smurf?

webperf pools web server and transfers a URL, measuring the download speed.
Application level benchmark which is best.  Problem is you need many points
to poll from to avoid bias, at present servers run at just a through main
hubs (switching points).

Rob