Re: SMB over public network

On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 04:38:59PM -0500, Nitebirdz wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Gregory Wood wrote:

[Samba over Internet]

> How can you get Samba to work over the Internet?  I mean, after all it
> runs on NetBIOS while the Internet runs on TCP/IP... Can anyone please

It uses NetBIOS (rfc1001 and 1002) as an encapsulated protocol. You can
encap it in IPX, NetBEUI *and* TCP/IP. There's no real problem using
Samba/Windows shares over the net, except that browsing is harder to
implement or more-or-less impossible. You may want to install a WINS
server.

> shed some light here?  If it is possible at all, I'd certainly love to
> know, and I'd also love to know how it works.

It's the same configuration as one would have if you have several subnets.
Reading all docs and having some tests will show you that it simply
works...

MfG, JBG

--
Fehler eingestehen, Größe zeigen: Nehmt die Rechtschreibreform zurück!!!
/* Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de> -- +49-177-5601720 */