won't stay connected to isp

I'm running Linux on a 486 laptop with a 2400
baud modem, and I haven't been able to stay
connected to any isp.

When I used minicom to connect, I get a prompt
for user name and password, then I get a message
saying ppp is starting and then garbage on the
screen for about a minute, then it disconnects.

When I use pon, the log says something like sending
LCD packet, receiving LCD packet, a few times, then
I'm disconnected.

I know this isp uses PAP, and I've used pppconfig over and
over to try and get this to work, but no luck. Any suggestions
for changes to my scripts?

Thanks,
Sheri