Re: it's safe to run a web hosting server with the unstable distributions ?

We run unstable and make a point of upgrading frequently.

It is our job as ISP to maintain the environment and make
improvements.  We tell our clients that old scripts will break
as that environment changes.  Either they pay us to maintain
the scripts or they take it on themselves.

The most recent breakage that comes to mind was change of path
for imagemagick from /usr/X11R6/bin to /usr/bin.  There was something
with a2ps too that broke our catalogs momentarily.  Those would have
wreaked havoc whether stable or unstable.  AFAIK that only affected
systems scripts that we maintain, so it was our responsibility
to fix it.  That's our job.  Personally I'd rather fix a few
now and then than find everything reduced to rubble at once!

Most breakages are our own changes in infrastructure, eg drop
msql for mySQL, etc....  We've always been able to warn clients
and give them a grace period to convert or they will have us do it
for them.  There have been a few clients unwilling to pay for that
and we have given them a grace period to go away.  Others won't
do anything and leave broken perl4 and libc4 binaries kicking errors.

You **need** clients to complain loudly when something breaks; otherwise
how will you know?  As for the lawyers, you'll hear from them
if you upgrade or if you fail to upgrade.  ;^)  We've just found
it easier to maintain consistent upgrades as a matter of **policy**.

cfm