Re: SNMP problems with an ISDN connection

>  : I have a slink system running snmpd 3.6b7 to report traffic over an ISDN
>  : connection (using a Spellcaster DC/Plus ISA card).  The same version of
>  : snmpd on a different machine, reporting just a dedicated PPP connection,
>  : works great.
>  :
>  : On the ISDN connection, though, it does not report accurate data--the
>  : figures it gives are very low (when the 64k ISDN line is saturated, it
>  : reports 10-20% usage), and the incoming and outgoing data is only different
>  : by 5-10% on average, often showing more outgoing data than incoming, even
>  : when a download is in place (and incoming would typically exceed outgoing by
>  : many times).
>  :
>  : In searching the web, I found a patch for cmu-snmpd 3.2 that allegedly fixes
>  : problems reporting inaccurate figures for ISDN connections.  However, the
>  : link to the patch is broken, and that patch is for a version of snmpd that's
>  : older than what I'm using now.
>  :
>  : Question is:  Is this problem fixable, either with a patch to snmpd, by
>  : upgrading snmpd, or by another means?  Or... am I just doing something
>  : wrong/silly that's causing my problems?  :-)
>
> We use a lot of SNMP here (or at least we try to), and in my limited
> experience with SNMP on Linux I've found the UCD SNMP packages to be
> more useful than the CMU packages (the UCD packages are in potato).

Well... I'm experiencing the same difficulty with ucd-snmp.  Which makes me
think the problem may not necissarily be related to the snmpd I'm using.

I don't believe the problem is in the kernel (or more specifically, the
Spellcaster ISDN drivers), because ipfwadm reports accurate IP accounting
information.  Perhaps I'll go back to my old method of reporting bytes in
and out with a bash script using ipfwadm.

I hate to do that, tho... it's a lot slower than SNMP, and a lot more
CPU/memory intensive to ssh to the host every 5 minutes... *sigh*

Any other ideas before I give up on this task?  :-)

Anything I can do to gather more helpful information for anyone
interested in and willing to help me troubleshoot this problem?

--
"So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing, even
built with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us? Or